What is Acne?
Acne is a condition where hair follicles clogged up due to accumulation of facial oil and dead skin cells resulting in a spectrum of skin problems.
More prominent on these parts due to higher density of hair follicles : Face, Back and Chest.
How acne forms
- Excessive oil production
- Accumulation of oil and dead skin at the entrance of follicles
- Plugging of the follicle openings
- Growing of bacteria in nutrient rich environment
- Infection & inflammation takes place
- During puberty / adolescence
- Menstural replated acne
- Stress related acne
- Diet high in sugar or dairy
- Steriod or hormonal pills
Symptoms vary from person to person
Acne treatment options
A) Lifestyle modifications
- EAT WELL : Drink plent y of plain water and avoid sugary food or dairy products
- EXERCISE : helps with blood circulation & increase sweating which cleanses the pores in a natural way.
- SLEEP WELL : at least 7 - 8 hours toencourage skin recovery
Topical and application
- ACNE HOME REMEDY : gentle cleansers help to clear bacteria on the face and get rid of excessive oil without causing too much dryness.
- ANTIBIOTIC CREAM : helps to kill the bacteria within the pimple and also help to reduce the inflammation.
- VITAMIN A ENRICHED CREAM : help to reduce oil production and dead skin from clogging follicles and helps to dry up inflammed pimples.
- Used when condition is severe and (A) & (B) are not working
- ORAL ANTIBIOTICS : such as Doxycycline, Minocycline, Isotretinoin or contraceptive medication such as Diane 35 (hormonal related acne in females) .
- Usually takes about 2 - 3 months of continued use before obvious results.
- Detailed consult from doctor is required due to potential side effects .
By : Dr Chen Yiming
Family Physician, MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (NUS), GDFP Dermatology (NUS)