- Generally low to moderate level of exercise
- Can be sustained through a longer duration
- Tend to bring the heart rate up gradually
- Oxygen is being utitlised to fuel the muscles
Examples of Aerobic Exercises
- Brisk walking
- Higher intensity workouts
- Can only be sustained by the body through shorter durations (intervals)
- Tend to bring the heart rate up very quickly
- Oxygen is not present in energy conversion, glycogen is expended instead
Examples of Anaerobic Exercises
- Resistance Training
- Crossfit / HIIT
For anaerobic exercises in particular, it helps to build lean muscles which encourages the body to burn more calories even at rest.
Benefits of both Aerobic and Anaerobic Exercises
- Help in weight management
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Strengthen joints
- Boost bodily immune system
- Manage or prevent chronic illnesses from developing
- For all exercises to be effective, a wholesome diet consisting of the right portions of carbohydrates, protein and fats must be consumed.
- Before starting any form of exercises, it is always important to gauge individual fitness levels and gradually increase intensity as the body becomes stronger.
By : Alvin Ho
B (Eng), MBA, Certified Allied Healthcare/Fitness Professional (EIMS), Master Fitness Trainer / Fitness Nutrition, Resistance & Endurance Training Specialist (NFPT)