Can keep you from getting sick from flu
Flu vaccine has shown to reduce going to the doctor with flu by 40% to 60%. Flu vaccine prevented 6.2 million influenza illnesses, 3.2 million influenza related medical visits and 5700 influenza related deaths.
Reduce the risk of flu associated hospitalisation
- Flu vaccine (2017 - 2018 season) has reduced 91,000 influenza associated hospitalisation.
- Flu vaccine (2010 - 2012) reduced children's risk of ICU admission by 74%
Preventive tool for chronic conditions
- Flu vaccination has been associated with lower cardiac events like heart attack and heart failure in high risk patients
- Flu vaccination can reduce worsening and hospitalization for flu-related chronic lung disease, eg COPD/asthma
- Flu vaccination has also been showed to be associated with reduced hospitalizations among people with diabetes
Helps protect women before & after pregnancy
Vaccination reduces the risk of flu associated acute respiratory infection in pregnant women by 50%. Studies have shown that flu vaccine given during pregnancy helps protect the baby from flu for several months after birth.
Can be life saving for children
Flu vaccination reduced the risk of flu associated death by 50% for children with underlying high risk medical conditions and 65% for healthy children.
Protect your loved ones
By getting yourself vaccinated, you are reducing the risk of you becoming the spreader of flu to your loved ones, such as your children and your parents who are elderly and have chronic medical conditions.
By : Dr Chen Yiming
Family Physician, MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (NUS), GDFP Dermatology (NUS)