For everyone's safety and wellness, proper mask wearing practices must be adhered to, so as to prevent contamination and possible exposure to viruses. Please observe the guidelines below :
- Wear your mask whenever you leave home*.
*Except when engaging in strenuous exercises.
- Wash your hands before putting on the mask, whenever you touch it, and immediately after removing it.
- Practise the proper way to remove and store your mask :
1. Remove mask carefully without touching the outside of the mask or face by holding the ear loops.
2, Fold mask in half with the outer layer of the mask facing out and store it in a ziplock bag.
- Wear a mask at home when :
1. Not feeling well.
2. Staying with someone who belongs to the high risk group, eg: seniors and patients with chronic medical conditions or who are immunocompromised.
- Wash reusable masks regularly when used on a daily basis.
- Do not don a mask on infants under 2 years old or anyone with cardio-respiratory illnesses who complain of breathlessness with a mask on.
- Do not pull your mask down to your chin to eat or drink, but remove it before eating and drinking.
- Do not wear masks that are torn, soiled, damaged or wet.
- Do not wear a mask that does not fit well on your face and cover your nose and mouth properly.
- Do not let wearing a mask give you a false sense of security. You can still get infected if you do not put on your mask properly or if you are frequently touching your face.
By : Dr Chen Yiming
Family Physician, MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (NUS), GDFP Dermatology (NUS)