fbpx


Egg Nutrition – Top 5 Benefits!

Author: FITivate | Published date: September 8, 2021 | Category: Nutrition
egg nutrition
egg nutrition

Share this Image On Your Site

Eggs are considered probably one of the most beneficial food sources around as they are packed with nutrients, minerals and quality protein. However, there have been concerns about the high cholesterol levels of eggs, with many keeping away from them entirely due to worry of its adverse effects to the body. In this article, we will discuss more on, not only the benefits of the regular consumption of eggs, but also debunk the notion of the association of cholesterol with eggs.

Nutrition Facts of Eggs

An Average Sized Eggs contains [1] :

  • Energy : 77 Kcal
  • Protein : 6.3 g
  • Fat : 5.3 g
  • Saturated Fat : 1.6 g
  • Monosatruated Fat : 2 g
  • Carbohydrate : 0.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 212 mg

Top 5 Benefits of Eggs

1. Helps Raise Good Cholesterol Levels

Firstly, we will address the inherently high cholesterol levels of eggs. While it is true that one egg has about 212 mg of cholesterol, which is more than two thirds of the 300mg daily limit recommended by the Singapore Heart Foundation (SHF) [2]. However, it should be noted that dietary cholesterol does not necessarily raise blood cholesterol. When dietary cholesterol intake increases, in response, the liver will produce lesser amounts of cholesterol to strike a balance. For the 70% majority of individuals, consuming eggs do not increase their cholesterol levels at all, only in the other 30% or hyper responders, might see an mild raise LDL (bad) cholesterol levels [3]. 

In fact, a studies have determined that consuming 2 eggs a day over a period of 6 weeks actually helped increase the good cholesterol (HDL) levels by 10% [3]. Higher levels of HDL is linked to lower risks of cardiovascular diseases.  This may be because as much as 2/3 of the fats present in one egg is unsaturated (the healthy sort) [4] and said to help increase overall good cholesterol levels. 

2. Key Source of Protein

Eggs are a key source of protein, the reason why they are such a valuable source is because they contain complete proteins, basically the full range of 9 essential amino acids which the body cannot produce on its own. Protein is essential in, amongst many other benefits, building lean muscles and bolstering immunity. It is also really good in helping with weight management as protein rich foods keep individuals feeling full for a longer period of time [4].

3. Minerals & Vitamins Powerhouse

Eggs are concentrated with nutrients that are beneficial to the body. The main mineral and vitamin profile list includes vitamins A, B2 (riboflavin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B12 (cobalamin) and Selenium. It is important to also note that almost all of these nutrients are present in the yolk, as the egg white contains mainly protein [5].

4. Good for the Brain

Eggs are rich in Choline, an essential nutrient in maintaining a healthy nervous system. It is responsible in helping produce a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, which is required in our memory and learning processes.

Choline is found in the egg yolk, and one egg contains choline amounting to about 25% of our daily required dietary value. [6]

5. Good for our vision

Egg yolks are considered one of the best sources for eye friendly antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthin. They are said to help get rid of free radicals that form in our eyes. Studies have also shown that it slows down cataracts formation and combat Age-related macular degeneration (AMD). To make things even beneficial, the good fats present in eggs actually helps the body better and more effectively absorb Lutein and Zeaxanithin. [6]

Conclusion

Eggs are indeed high in cholesterol but it does not necessarily raise the overall bad cholesterol of the body. However, If you are worried about the potential impacts it has on your cholesterol levels, it would be advisable to seek the recommendations from you physician.

The majority of the nutrients and fats are found in the yolk, while the egg white contains mainly protein (half of total egg protein content). For those who are concerned about cholesterol levels while wanting to tap into the rich protein profile of eggs can consider consuming more egg whites instead.

Hardboiled eggs usually serves up as the healthiest version of preparing eggs. Moderate on consuming eggs that are topped with condiments such as salt or sauces. Sunny side eggs fried with too much oil should be best avoided.

By : Alvin Ho

B (Eng), MBA, Certified Allied Healthcare/Fitness Professional (EIMS), Master Fitness Trainer / Fitness Nutrition, Resistance & Endurance Training Specialist (NFPT)

-Advertisement-



-Advertisement-




You Also Be Interested In

>