Sugar is the number 1 cause of obesity, type 2 diabetes, increases bad cholesterol that causes heart diseases and stroke. It also causes fluctuations in blood sugar content which can cause fatigue.
4 unlikely foods that are high in sugar
1. Granola Cereals
It has 15% - 30% of sugar depending on brand. Granolar bars typically have higher sugar content than cereals.
2. Packet Juices
Packet juices have about 10% sugar. Fresh fruit juice have also about the same sugar content.
3. Plain Yoghurt
Plain yoghurt has about 5% sugar. Flavoured yoghurt has more, up to 20%.
It has about 20% sugar content.
Tips to lower your sugar level in your diet
- Avoid cereals that are honey coated, sugar frosted or chocolated based.
- Opt for unsweetened beverages. 0% boba tea, no sugar oolong tea or green tea and unsweetened soy milk.
- Eat whole fruits
- Go for nut based cereals or oats.
- Adopt a low sugar diet by identifying and avoiding your triggers.
- It takes time to grow to like no-sugar beverages, but it will be worth your time.
By : Alvin Ho
B (Eng), MBA, Certified Allied Healthcare/Fitness Professional (EIMS), Master Fitness Trainer / Fitness Nutrition, Resistance & Endurance Training Specialist (NFPT)