Also known as Myocardinal Infraction (MI) Happens when the coronary arteries are blocked, resulting in the heart muscles bring deprived of oxygen and
nutritents. This will result in muscle death and a sudden deteoriation of heart functions.
Heart attack risk factors
- Pre-existing conditions : Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes, Obesity
- High risk habits : Smoking, Alcohol intake
- Sedentary lifestyle: lack of exercise
- Higher risk if you are : male >45 or female > 55
- Strong family history of heart attack
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest pain, tightness & discomfort :
- could be central or towards the left, sometimes the right, or even at the upper abdomen
- may radiate towards the neck, the jaw, the shoulder or arm ( mostly on the left )
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive sweating - cold sweat
- Fatigue & light headedness / giddiness
- Nausea & heartburns
Symptoms vary from person to person
What to do in an event of a heart attack?
Do not ignore the symptoms!
- Call 995 for an emergency ambulance to get to your location ASAP.
- If close to clinic, please see doctor immediately : an ECG may be done done to determine the severity before calling the ambulance on your behalf.
Every minute counts!
Prevention is better than cure
- Regular health screening to identify risk factors like hypertension, hyperlipidemia and diabetes which are often asymptomatic
- Cut down on bad habits like smoking or drinking
- Exercise & eat healthy!
Don't wait till it is too late!
By : Dr Chen Yiming
Family Physician, MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (NUS), GDFP Dermatology (NUS)