How does COVID-19 spread?
- People to People
- Between individuals standing within about 1m from each other
- Droplets from the infected through coughing, sneezing or speaking
- When droplets from the infected land on surfaces through touch or sneezing / coughing, the viruses stay for a period of time
- Others will be infected if they touch these surfaces and bring their hands to their mouth, eyes or nose
COVID-19 spreads very easily and is highly contagious.
Social Distancing is the way to go
- Keeping a safe distance from others is crucial in preventing the spread as the virus is said to mainly transmit through close contact
- Viruses can still spread from the infected who are asymptomatic (do not exhibit any signs), they might not be aware that they are carriers of the disease
- Sick individuals who are still interacting with others
Things to note when social distancing
- Keep at least one meter apart from others when speaking or interacting
- Do not touch any part of your face with hands that are not clean, especially after touching shared surfaces
- Stay home where ever possible and avoid physical interaction with people outside your immediate family nucleus
- Make sure to wash hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizes frequently
- When sick, visit the doctor and get tested if deemed necessary. Make sure to self-isolate until 100% sure you are COVID free.
- Wear a mask if not feeling well or in situations where public interactions are high
By : Dr Chen Yiming
Family Physician, MBBS (Singapore), GDFM (NUS), GDFP Dermatology (NUS)