Staying fit and healthy has always been on of the top resolutions for many. This is similar for beginners and fitness enthusiast alike as achieving and sustaining a healthy lifestyle require consistent efforts. We have come up with a list of hacks that might just help make staying on track with your New Year’s health resolutions a little easier.
It's all in the food
It all begins with what you put on your plate, always bear in mind the 70 / 30 rule for fitness, where 70% comes from a healthy diet and 30% comes from exercise.
Some simple ways to ensure healthy eating include :
- Commit to consuming 2 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of whole fruits everyday.
- Fill up before the mains. Try to consume healthier entrées that are high in fiber and protein before indulging in the main dishes. This helps to fill you up quicker to prevent overeating.
- Avoid processed, deep fried foods that are unhealthy and lack nutrition
- Avoid sugar laden desserts, drinks, stick to sugar free or less sugar options.
- Consume everything in moderation
Add varieties to your fitness
- New exercise routines can be engaging and fun, however, over a period of time, the level of interest might start to taper off.
- It is always good to regularly add variety to your training schedules such as HIIT, circuit, pyramid, calisthenics, outdoor workout stations, aerobics classes etc. They not only keep the interest levels up, it also ensures a well-rounded progression.
Watch your time
- Exercising should never be time consuming. The benefits derived from a focused and intense 30 to 45 minutes routine is sufficient.
- Overtraining can be harmful and can result in injuries
- Plan your routines ahead of time and stay focused in completing them in the designated time, do not procrastinate!
Focus on starting
- Instead of thinking of the entire exercise routine, focus entirely on completing the first set of exercises.
- This helps you kick start the process and you will find yourself executing the remaining sets naturally.
Slow and Steady
- Start slow or at a level suitable to your fitness level
- Avoid starting off with routines too difficult to handle as it might incur injuries
- Progress steadily towards more challenging routines as fitness levels improve
- Establish a group of like-minded family or friends and encourage each other on.
- Set out friendly competitions that can be virtual, such as clocking the most runs or completing the most exercise routines in a week.
- Remember, fitness is not a journey of one, motivate one another to gain maximum achievements.
Make use of fitness platforms
- There is a myriad of fitness apps out there which are, not only free but also very convenient to use. They are designed to either help you monitor your diet, track your calories burnt or offer exercise routines.
- Make use of Fitivate’s platform to get daily holistic wellness content plus weekly home-based fitness routines!
By : Alvin Ho
B (Eng), MBA, Certified Allied Healthcare/Fitness Professional (EIMS), Master Fitness Trainer / Fitness Nutrition, Resistance & Endurance Training Specialist (NFPT)